COPYRIGHT 2017 by the BROAD RIPPLE HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
1. Historical excerpt from " HANDBOOK FOR BROAD RIPPLE HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS", dated 1962:
Broad Ripple, the fourth oldest among the city's high schools, began with seven pupils in 1886. In 1886 a two-year course was inaugurated. Five years after a four-year course was instituted in 1890 the school was commissioned by the Indiana State Board of Education. At the turn of the century six pupils were graduated; in 1914, when a new high school building (the oldest part of the present plant) was dedicated, 90 pupils were enrolled.
In 1923 the high school, with an enrollment of 94 and a staff of eight teachers, including the principal, was annexed to the school city. Karl Von Ammerman, then vice-principal of Emmerich Manual Training High School, was named principal. From 1923 through the 1948-49 school year the history of Broad Ripple High School is largely the history of Mr. Ammerman and his policies as principal for that quarter of a century.
Always guided by what he considered to be the best interests and welfare of the student body, Mr. Ammerman knew and could call by first name nearly every pupil of the thousands who attended Broad Ripple during his principalship. He reflected his own concept of the important part which each pupil should play in school, family and community life by interpreting the initials of Broad Ripple High School to mean "Broader, Richer, Human Service."
First increase in physical plant during Mr. Ammerman's administration came in 1935 when 12 classrooms in the west section were completed. In that same year the recreation field was expanded by the purchase of several acres and cottage-then the only high school-owned house in the state was taken over by the home economics classes.
In 1938 the enrollment had increased 500 per cent over that of 1923. In 1939 another building unit, including the present gymnasium, was completed; and four more acres were acquired, thus raising the total acreage to 15. At this time the cafeteria, with a seating capacity of 300, was put into service.
In World War II, 868 Broad Ripple boys and girls served in the armed forces. The names of the 21 who gave their lives for this country are engraved on the bronze clock plaque.
In 1949 a third unit, the present center section, was completed. Mr. Ammerman, retired, was succeeded as principal by Mr. J. Fred Murphy.
Beginning in March 1941, career conferences for freshmen and sophomores have been held each year. This conference has been made possible through cooperation with the Kiwanis, Altrusa and Business and Professional Women's Clubs in Indianapolis.
Broad Ripple High School had the City and County Championship Quiz 'Em Team for the school years 1951-52, 1955-56 and 1956-57.
The first Band Camp for members of the Broad Ripple Band was held in August 1954,
Beginning in the fall of 1951, the Alumni Association and the Student Council have sponsored jointly special festivities for the Homecoming Game.
BROAD RIPPLE SCHOOL FIGHT SONG
Hail to Broad Ripple, on to victory.
Fight, fight in every game, and we'll win the victory.
Rah! Rah! Rah!
Onward and forward, always to the goal, Fight on, you Rockets, for Ripple High.
Come, Rockets! Fight, fight, fight!
We are always backing you with all our might. On, Rockets! Fight, fight, fight!
And be sure that you're always in the right. Then for you we'll shout-rah!
Make that yell ring out-rah!
Let the words ring out-rah!
And the soaring Rockets then will bring us fame once more,
And we'll sing-
Hail to Broad Ripple, on to victory.
Fight, fight in every game, and we'll win the
Rah! Rah! Rah!
Onward and forward, always to the goal,
Fight on, you Rockets, for Ripple High!
BROAD RIPPLE HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
2. The following chronological history record was provided to us from the Broad
Ripple history archives of the Broad Ripple Gazette. It offers a birds-eye view of the
development of Broad Ripple High School.
BROAD RIPPLE HIGH SCHOOL CHRONOLOGY
1886 J. S. Puett, principal-teacher
1886 First 2-year high school course inaugurated
1888 First 2-year high school class graduated
1889 First 3-year high school class graduated
1890-3 Thomas Smith, principal
1890 First 4-Year course inaugurated
1893-4 Mr. Martin, principal
1894-1902 J. E. Harris, principal
1895 High school commissioned by Indiana State Board of Education
1896 Original building burned
1896 Building rebuilt with addition
1897 First Parent-Teacher Association organized
1899 Lights Bellevue Addition surveyed by senior class
1900 First Alumni Association organized
1902 School colors (orange & black) chosen
1902-7 Arthur Jackson, Paul Caughlin, S. P Plaskett, principals
1907-13 H. W. Marshall principal
1912 Marion County basketball Tournament won
1914 New high school building dedicated
1914-18 R. E. Wiggins, principal
1918-20 Mr. Blossom, principal
1920-23 Mr. Gillespie, principal
1916 First Junior Prom held
1919 High School unit of the Parent-Teacher Association organized
1923 High school annexed to the school city
1923-48 K. V. Ammerman, principal
1925 Orange Aid organized
1926 First Riparian yearbook published
1928 First Riparian newspaper published
1928 Sectional basketball crown won
1930 "Rockets" chosen as signature of athletic teams
1931 First Ripple Round-Up held
1934 New heating plant completed
1935 Twelve classrooms in the west wing completed
Seven acres added to the recreation field
Cottage remodeled, equipped ond occupied by Home Economics Classes
1936 Golden Singers organized
First radio program produced locally
First Ripples produced
1938 Second building unit voted by Board of School Commissioners
First dean of girls appointed
First directors of curricular, social, information, guidance appointed
First director of athletics appointed
Broad Ripple Chapter of National Honor Society organized
1939 Second building unit completed
Four acres acquired, making total of fifteen
1940 First librarian appointed
1941 First summer school held
1941 First nurse appointed
1942 First vice-principal, Edgar Stahl, appointed
First public address system installed
1943 First director of productions appointed
Appreciation dinner for Mr. Ammerman given
1944 Third unit voted by the Board of School Commissioners
Broad Ripple Legions organized
Fathers' Association organized
1945 Basketball team went to the State final tourney and lost
First Employment Coordinator appointed
First Arts Salon
First PTA Carnival
1946 First ROTC Unit inaugurated
First heads of math and English Departments
1947 First dean of boys appointed
First unit of stadium completed
East Hall razed
Ground broken for third unit
1950 Mr. J Fred Murphy came to Ripple as new principal
First safety essay and poster contest held
A new 21-room addition to the building was opened
A new public address system was installed
1951 The athletic field was dedicated
1952 Gene Beaman took over as head basketball coach.
1953 Rippy Rocket was named with the help of the student body.
1954 Expansion of the Broad Ripple building Eastward
Stamp Club with Mr. Sidney Esten as sponsor was originated
1955 Family unit education started at Ripple
"This Week at Ripple" started by the Student Council
Ripple bell was rediscovered in the basement of the cottage
Broad Ripple High School broadcasts a first in a series of radio programs on WIAN-FM
1956 Broad Ripple High School won Yard Parks award for the cleanest school
Principal J. Fred Murphy was re-elected Secretary of the Commission on Research and Service
Ripple Quiz 'Em Team won city championship
Aged Ripple Bell, which represents tradition, was rededicated in a special ceremony
Share-the-Fare Dance was held to sponsor the first foreign exchange student
First Junior Historical Society Auditorium was held
1957 Freshman Cross Country Track Team under Mr. Mordie Lee won the first place in the city
The first foreign exchange student arrived
1958 First Drivers Education course offered
Mr. Hubert Wann, Dean of Boys, ended 35 year career at Ripple
Mr. Warren Jackson appointed Dean of Boys
Creative Writing, Math X, Office Practice, Alcohol and Narcotics, and Art Appreciation
given for first time
1959 Work begins on the new building off Haverford
Miss Ruth Carter, Dean of Girls, ended 32 year career at Ripple
Mrs. Rosalind Ewing appointed Dean of Girls
1960 Building completed
Language lab for students taking a foreign language was opened.
1961 Steinway grand piano was presented to the school by Association of Parents and Teachers
2015 Teacher Doris Young wins Life Changing Teacher Award after 43 years of teaching at BRHS
2017 On September 18, 2017, IPS School Board votes to close BRHS at end of school year
and move programs to Shortridge High School.
WE ARE SEARCHING FOR ADDITIONAL CHRONOLOGICAL INFORMATION.
AS INFORMATION IS FOUND, IT WILL BE ADDED TO THIS WEBPAGE